Hungarian OB/Midwife, Agnes Gereb, has been incarcerated for attending home births. This is a powerful piece speaking to her cause and is a call-to-action over the Dark Age-style health policies still alive today. One of my favourite quotes in the video: “Psychiatry and obstetrics are two of the most insane fields within the world of medicine.” The video features Psychotherapist, Andrew Feldmar, Please watch it and pass it on.
What can we do to obtain the release of Agnes (Agi) Gereb?
1. Contact politicians, media and relevant agencies in your country to
protest against the events in Hungary, and to insist that they contact the
Hungarian government directly to express their disapproval.
2. Contact the Hungarian embassy in your country. In particular, if any of
you are in a position to organise a protest demonstration outside the
Hungarian embassy in your country, we would be pleased to know of this and
to help you in this task.
3. Send a letter of protest to and of the following people:
• Ministry of Health in Hungary (Dr. Miklos Szocska, Ministry
of Health, Social and Family Affairs, Budapest 1051, Arany Janos Utca
• Ministry of Justice in Hungary (Dr. Forgacs Imre Jozsef,
Ministry of Justice and Law Enforcement, Igazsagugyi és Rendeszeti
Miniszterium, 1363 Budapest, Pf. 54., Hungary).
• Prime Minister of Hungary (Viktor Orban, 1054 Budapest,
Hungary, Szechenyi rakpart 19). firstname.lastname@example.org
• *János Martonyi Minister of Foreign Affairs *email@example.com
*• **Tibor Navracsics*, Minister of Public Administration and Justice
1357 Budapest Pf.2 firstname.lastname@example.org**
• *Office of Parliament,** *Committee on Human Rights,
Minorities, Civil and Religious Matters. 1358 Budapest, Széchenyi rkp.
• *Sándor Pintér, Minister of the Interior* 1903 Budapest Pf.:
• *Dr. Tamás Kovács, State Prosecutor* State Prosecutor’s Office
1372 Budapest, Pf. 438. email@example.com
• *Budapest** Courts* 1363 Bp. Pf. 16 Fax: +361-354-6066
• *Hungarian National Press Service* 1016 Budapest, Naphegy tér
4. Send a postcard with words of support to Dr. Agnes Gereb in prison
at Fovarosi Buntetes Vegrehajtasi Intezet., 1055 Budapest, Nagy Ignac
u. 5-11, Hungary
5. Join the Free Gereb Agnes page on Facebook
6. Sign the petition for birth choices in Hungary:
7. Donate money towards Dr. Gereb’s legal expenses:
8. Spread the word! Inform your friends about this campaign.
Dec 21, 2010 update
Agnes has been released home on “house arrest”. This was on Facebook from Ina May Gaskin:
Here’s what Ina May has on her FB page: On December 20th, Agnes’ birthday, the Ministry of Natural Resources and its Department of Health held a press conference and publicly announced the birth of the new regulations regarding out of hosp…ital deliveries. There are some severe r…estrictions, like no previous C-sections, but we are hoping that this is just a start. The government promised to build birth centers in the countryside so that women can benefit from midwife assisted out of hospital births there
as well until many more home birth midwives will be trained.
Now we’d like to see all charges dropped against her and the other 4 midwives who have been charged with “reckless endangerment.” International pressure clearly helped.