Mary Cronk of England is one of my favourite midwives in the world. She’s been around the block a few times and knows how medical professionals can intimidate women.
Here are her tips for regaining power when those around you are trying to bulldoze their agenda through.
“I suggest you calmly inform your midwife of your intention. and remember my suggested replies to unhelpful professionals.”
1. “Thank you for your advice, I will consider it carefully and let you know my decision”
2. I don’t think you can have have heard what I said
3. Would you like to repeat what you have just said?
4. I am afraid I will have to regard any further discussion as harrassment
5. What is your NMC pin number (for a British midwife) or, “What is your GMC pin number” (for a British Medical practitioner)
I have a sixth phrase to be used *in extremis* “stop this at once” and I am pleased to report that I had it used against me by a woman to whom I had taught it. I got too enthusiastic while doing
a VE and she ordered me to “stop at once” I did! Regards, Mary